FPD Online Resources Now Available
The ASMBS is pleased to offer the Focused Practice Designation Review Course. These recorded presentations and slides are available to anyone for $275.00.
These materials will provide test takers with the basic knowledge to help them successfully pass the FPD exam.
FPD Exam Information
The American Board of Surgery (ABS) is offering a Focused Practice Designation (FPD) for surgeons in the United States who are engaged in the field of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (MBS). The new FPD is available to surgeons practicing MBS who can demonstrate their clinical expertise and ongoing commitment to continuing education, accreditation, and obtaining comprehensive knowledge in the field.
ABS has worked in conjunction with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) to define the standards of practice, participation, and knowledge that are required to be identified as a surgeon who focuses their practice on MBS. The MBS FPD can be achieved through a combination of fellowship training and/or clinical practice that is dedicated to treatment of the obese patient population.
For more information, visit Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Focused Practice Designation
Application Deadline: February 29, 2024
Next Exam: April 1 – April 6, 2024
Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Focused Practice (MBS FPD) Diplomates:
We are pleased to confirm that diplomates who pass their initial MBS FPD examination are able to apply, if they choose to do so, to the American Medical Association (AMA) to receive 50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
Please follow these steps:
- Visit the AMA Applications Page.
- On that webpage, scroll down to to the “Direct Credit” box on the left hand side of the site and click on the “Claim Direct Credit” button;
- You will be prompted to sign in with your AMA account credentials, or to create a new free account;
- You will then be able to create a direct application, and when choosing the activity, select “ABMS Member Board Certification and MOC”;
- On the application, from the dropdowns, select “Focused Practice Designation” and “American Board of Surgery” and “Metabolic Bariatric Surgery – Focused Practice Designation” to be able to complete and submit the application for CME credits to the AMA.
Questions regarding the application can be submitted to the AMA directly via their website, or by calling the AMA Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM Central at 1-800-621-8335.