The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) is the largest national society for this specialty.
MISSION: Our mission is to enhance the well-being of individuals affected by obesity and associated illnesses through the progression of metabolic and bariatric surgical techniques and other medical interventions.
VISION: Our vision is to elevate global health and quality of life by significantly reducing the impact of obesity and its associated illnesses worldwide.
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) stands as the premier organization in its field. We aim to:
- Elevate the standard of care and therapy for those impacted by obesity.
- Push the boundaries of scientific knowledge in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Facilitate meaningful dialogues among healthcare experts focusing on obesity and its associated conditions.
- Serve as the definitive authority and go-to resource in the realm of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Advocate for equitable access to top-tier treatment options for individuals with obesity.
- Meet the diverse educational and professional requirements of our membership.
- ASMBS President: Marina Kurian, MD, FASMBS, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery at NYU Grossman School of Medicine
- ASMBS President-Elect: Ann Rogers, MD, FASMBS, Director, Penn State Surgical Weight Loss Program
- ASMBS Immediate-Past President: Teresa LaMasters, MD, FASMBS, DABOM, Medical Director at UnityPoint Clinic Weight Loss Specialists
- ASMBS Secretary/Treasurer: Richard Peterson, MD MPH FASMBS, Chief Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Director at UT Health San Antonio
- ASMBS Executive Director: Diane M. Enos, MPH RDN CAE FAND
ASMBS has over 4,400 members including general surgeons and integrated healthcare professionals practicing in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery. To become an ASMBS member visit the membership page or contact the office for more information.
Official Scientific Journal
Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases (SOARD) is the official journal of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. This international journal is devoted to the publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts with objective data regarding techniques of the treatment of severe obesity.
More information about SOARD and its monthly journal club can be found here.