The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) is the largest national society for this specialty.
The vision of the Society is to improve public health and well-being by lessening the burden of the disease of obesity and related diseases throughout the world.
Founded in 1983, foremost American surgeons have formed the society’s leadership and have established an excellent organization with educational and support programs for surgeons and integrated health professionals. The mission of the society is to improve the lives of people with obesity and related diseases by advancing the art and science of metabolic and bariatric surgery and other interventions by:
- Continuously improving the care and treatment of people suffering from obesity.
- Advancing the science and understanding of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Fostering communication between health professionals on obesity and related conditions.
- Being the recognized authority and resource on metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Advocating for people with obesity to ensure access to high quality treatment.
- Serving the educational and professional needs of our diverse membership.
- ASMBS President: Marina Kurian, MD, FASMBS, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery at NYU Grossman School of Medicine
- ASMBS President-Elect: Ann Rogers, MD, FASMBS, Director, Penn State Surgical Weight Loss Program
- ASMBS Immediate-Past President: Teresa LaMasters, MD, FASMBS, DABOM, Medical Director at UnityPoint Clinic Weight Loss Specialists
- ASMBS Secretary/Treasurer: Richard Peterson, MD MPH FASMBS, Chief Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Director at UT Health San Antonio
- ASMBS Executive Director: Diane M. Enos, MPH RDN CAE FAND
ASMBS has over 4,000 members including general surgeons and integrated healthcare professionals practicing in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery. To become an ASMBS member visit the membership page or contact the office for more information.
Official Scientific Journal
Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases (SOARD) is the official journal of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. This international journal is devoted to the publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts with objective data regarding techniques of the treatment of severe obesity.
More information about SOARD and its monthly journal club can be found here.