The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) is the largest national society for this specialty.
The vision of the Society is to improve public health and well-being by lessening the burden of the disease of obesity and related diseases throughout the world.
Founded in 1983, foremost American surgeons have formed the society’s leadership and have established an excellent organization with educational and support programs for surgeons and integrated health professionals. The mission of the society is to advance the art and science of metabolic and bariatric surgery by continually improving the quality and safety of care and treatment of people with obesity and related diseases by:
- Improving the care and treatment of people suffering from obesity.
- Advancing the science and understanding of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Fostering communication between health professionals on obesity and related conditions.
- Being the recognized authority and resource on metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Advocating for the health care policy that ensures patient access to high quality prevention and treatment of obesity.
- Serving the educational and professional needs of our diverse membership.
- ASMBS President: Eric DeMaria, MD, FASMBS, Professor and Chief, Division of General/Bariatric Surgery Department of Surgery Brody School of Medicine
- ASMBS President-Elect: Matthew Hutter, MD, FASMBS, Assistant Professor in Surgery at Harvard Medical School and Surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital
- ASMBS Immediate-Past President: Samer Mattar, MD, FASMBS, Medical Director, Swedish Weight Loss Services in Seattle
- ASMBS Secretary/Treasurer: Shanu N. Kothari, MD, FASMBS, Fellowship Director of MIS/Bariatric Surgery Gundersen Health System
- ASMBS Executive Director: Georgeann Mallory, RD
ASMBS has over 4,000 members including general surgeons and integrated healthcare professionals practicing in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery. To become an ASMBS member visit the membership page or contact the office for more information.
Official Scientific Journal
Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases (SOARD) is the official journal of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. This international journal is devoted to the publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts with objective data regarding techniques of the treatment of severe obesity.
More information about SOARD and its monthly journal club can be found here.