Eligibility Requirements for Certification
In order for candidates to sit for the CBN examination they must satisfy the following eligibility criteria, including compliance with the ASMBS standards of conduct:
- Be currently licensed as Professional Nurse (RN or equivalent for international nurses) in one of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico.
- A valid license number must be entered when applying online.
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) and Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) are not eligible to sit for the examination.
- International nurses are eligible to sit for the CBN examination.
- Acceptable international nurses’ licensure will be determined on an individual basis by the ASMBS.
- The examination is based on a practice analysis of nursing care of patients with severe obesity and bariatric surgical patients in the United States of America.
- The examination will only be offered in the English language.
- Currently the examination is offered in testing locations throughout the world through a commercial testing distribution network.
- Complete a minimum of 24 months (within the preceding 4 years) of nursing care of patients with severe obesity and bariatric surgery patients, predominately in the Bariatric surgery process. (i.e.: pre-operative, peri-operative or post operative/follow up care).
- This may include an RN who serves in a practice role that includes but is not limited to educational, administrative, leadership, quality, or advanced practice serving the bariatric population.
- The CBN committee will review eligibility when there is question.
- Adhere to the CBN Certification Standards of Conduct.
- Candidates are required to confirm acceptance of a statement on the application form that they understand violations of the CBN Standards of Conduct may result in loss of eligibility for the CBN certification.
Download the CBN Handbook
The CBN exam is administered at testing sites throughout the United States. To find the testing site nearest you, click here.
2024 CBN Exam Important Dates
Test Window 1
Exam Administration: January 15 through February 26, 2024
Early Online Registration Opens: October 16, 2023
Early Registration Deadline: December 11, 2023
Regular Registration Deadline: January 8, 2024
Test Window 2
Exam Administration: July 8 through August 30, 2024
Early Online Registration Opens: March 18, 2024
Early Registration Deadline: May 20, 2024
Regular Registration Deadline: June 28, 2024
New CBN Exam Study Guide
To access the newly published CBN exam study guide please click here.
Questions about the application process and administration of the CBN examination should be directed to:
18000 W 105th Street
Olathe, KS 66061
Why is Certification of a Bariatric Nurse Important?
Download this PDF to share with hospital administrators and employers the importance of CBN!