The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) is the largest national society for this specialty.
The vision of the Society is to improve public health and well being by lessening the burden of the disease of obesity and related diseases throughout the world.
Founded in 1983, foremost American surgeons have formed the society’s leadership and have established an excellent organization with educational and support programs for surgeons and integrated health professionals. The purpose of the society is to advance the art and science of metabolic and bariatric surgery by continually improving the quality and safety of care and treatment of people with obesity and related diseases by:
- Advancing the science of metabolic and bariatric surgery and increase public understanding of obesity.
- Fostering collaboration between health professionals on obesity and related diseases.
- Providing leadership in metabolic and bariatric surgery the multidisciplinary management of obesity.
- Advocating for health care policy that ensures patient access to prevention and treatment of obesity.
- Serving the educational needs of our members, the public and other professionals.