After extensive research and analysis, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) has updated our policies to be compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Your right to privacy is important to us and we’re making updates to ensure that we continue transparency about our communications.
What is GDPR?
The GDPR was designed to protect data privacy laws that will impact European and non-European businesses that communicate through online advertisements, emails as well as other mediums to citizens of the European Union.1
What Do I Need To Do?
You will need to update your email preferences. Please refer to the ACTION NEEDED: Important ASMBS Updates with GDPR Compliance email sent from ASMBS. If you are a member, you should’ve received two emails from ASMBS. You will need to update your preferences from both emails.
- If you are an EU citizen, if you do not update your preferences AND have not been attentive to our emails in the past year, you will automatically be unsubscribed to our mailing list.
- If you haven’t opened an email since April 1, 2017, and do not update your preferences, you will be taken off of our mailing list.
- For non-EU citizens, if you have been active in our emailing list, but do not update your preferences, you will be subscribed to any and all emails that come from the ASMBS News & Offers List, which can be up to four emails a week.
Update your profile to continue to be on our mailing list.
What If I Don’t Update My Preferences?
You will automatically removed from all ASMBS communications. You will need to update your preferences before May 24, 2018.
User Consent Policy
I’m an ASMBS Member, How Does This Impact Me?
As an ASMBS Member, you are subscribed to two email lists: (1) The ASMBS Official Business list and (2) The ASMBS News & Offers List.
The ASMBS Official Business List is exclusive to active ASMBS Members. You will receive information about your membership, the latest issue of connect, guidelines, call for comments, and other members-only resources. It is vital that you are subscribed to this list because this is our main form of communication. It is contracted in your membership that you will have to receive emails from this list. Until your membership expires, you will be subscribed to this list, unless you decide to unsubscribe or opt-out.
The ASMBS News & Offers List is for any and everyone who is interested in ASMBS. The includes information about Society meetings (i.e. ASMBS Weekend, ObesityWeek), the latest news in the Society and more. If you do not want to receive a specific type of email from this list, you can update your preferences to tailor the types of emails you receive. In order for you to continue to receive emails from this list, you must update your preferences.
ASMBS Membership Categories
What If I Revoke My Consent?
If you want to be removed from all ASMBS communications, please contact the ASMBS office in one of three ways:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Remove Me From List” and you will be removed within 3 days.
- Call the ASMBS Office at 352-331-4900 to ask to be removed from the list and you will be removed within 3 days.
- Mail your information to
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
100 SW 75th Street, Suite 201
Gainesville, FL, 32607
This option can take up to three weeks to be processed.
If you are an active member, ASMBS will continue to send emails related to your ongoing ASMBS membership. However to continue to receive all communications from ASMBS you must update your preferences.
If you do are not a member, ASMBS will remove you from all communications.
1 For more information, visit https://www.eugdpr.org.