The ASMBS welcomes all Integrated Health professionals in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery. This category includes all supporting positions in bariatrics – behavioral health, pharmacology, nutrition, nursing, psychiatrists, advanced practice providers, physical therapists, bariatric coordinators, and other support staff.
Together, Integrated Health professionals help in the holistic and long-term follow up care of the patient.
Why Join the ASMBS?
- Subscription to the digital and print versions of SOARD, Surgery for Obesity And Related Diseases available at a discounted price.
- Discounted registration to the ASMBS Annual Meeting, ASMBS Weekend, and post-graduate CE courses.
- Your practice and contact information in our Find a Provider tool, searchable by prospective patients
- Access to members-only documents, online resources, tool-kits, guidelines and other exclusive content.
- Eligibility to join your local ASMBS State Chapter, which provides educational lectures and lobbies towards state political issues and local insurance problems.
- Email alerts about new published research findings, political events and society highlights.
- Membership in IFSO, the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders.*
- Access to the Active ASMBS IH Members Facebook group, a great platform for collaborating and sharing ideas with other IH professionals
- Membership to the Obesity Action Coalition.**
- Opportunities to join ASMBS committees that impact research, education, patient access, innovation, communication and public service in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Access to our ongoing educational webinar series
*does not apply to International memberships
**does not apply to IH Student membership or anyone outside the US
All memberships must be renewed annually. Membership is on a calendar-year basis (January – December) Payment must be received before an application is reviewed. Please allow 6-8 weeks from submission of COMPLETE and PAID application for review.
Apply For Membership
Applications will be processed within 6-8 weeks upon receipt of complete applications, required documentation and paid membership dues. Keep in mind, applications must be paid and Letters of Recommendation must be received before applications go to committee for approval. COMPLETE applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to any ASMBS conference.
Please review ASMBS industry policy prior to applying for membership. Industry is broadly defined as any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services which are consumed by, or used on, patients.
PLEASE HAVE YOUR CURRENT CURRICULUM VITAE READY TO UPLOAD BEFORE CLICKING ON THE LINKS BELOW.
Please complete all entries. Missing or incomplete entries will delay application approval. In addition to the completed membership application form, the following items must be submitted:
- A letter of recommendation form* completed by a Regular, Senior, or Associate** member in good standing of the ASMBS. A form is provided for the applicant on page 3 of the application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to request the form be sent to the society office.
- A current Curriculum Vitae (or resume) which includes education and past work experience.
- A copy of your state license, registration or certification (if applicable). Fill out the online Integrated Health Application with Instructions or Download the form. Fill out the online IH Letter of Recommendation Form here or Download the form.
*For those applicants who need assistance obtaining a letter of recommendation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
**International applicants should substitute the Member letter of Recommendation Form from an International Member.
Membership applications may take up to 6-8 weeks for review and approval. Incomplete applications will delay the approval process. COMPLETE applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to any ASMBS conference.
Categories of ASMBS Integrated Health Membership
IH members fall into one of several categories within the IH section of the society.
|Associate Member||$125||Health Care Professionals working in the field of bariatric surgery (i.e., nurse, psychologist, dietitian, physician assistant, exercise physiologist, researcher). If you obtain any certified license, you would qualify for Associate Membership. Requires a Letter of Recommendation from a Regular (surgeon) or Associate Member.|
|International Associate Member||$95||Health Care Professionals working in the field of bariatric surgery outside of the United States. Requires a Letter of Recommendation from an International (surgeon) or Associate Member.|
|Affiliate Member||$100||Persons actively employed in a bariatric surgical practice or hospital based bariatric program who do not otherwise meet the requirements for Associate membership. Requires a Letter of Recommendation from a Regular (surgeon) or Associate Member.|
|International Affiliate Associate Member||$70||Persons actively employed in a bariatric surgical practice or hospital based bariatric program outside of the United States, who do not otherwise meet the requirements for Associate membership. Requires a Letter of Recommendation from an International (surgeon) or Associate Member.|
|Student Member||$35||Full-time Students in a relevant Integrated Health Discipline. Documentation of Full time enrollment in the course of study must be included. Requires a Letter or Recommendation from a Regular (surgeon) or Associate member.|
Complete the Application Process
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery prohibits discrimination against any member or any applicant for membership because of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.
Connect with ASMBS
Stay up-to-date on ASMBS news and happenings. Follow our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts to connect with peers and join in on the conversation about the latest in obesity prevention, treatment, and research.