Karen Flanders, MSN ARNP CBN
Chair and IHEC Liaison
Michael Dougherty II, PA-C
Deb Allis, PA-C
Karen Flanders, NP-C
William Gourash, PhD CRNP RN
Jeanne Hutson, NP-C
Marina Kurian, MD
Ginny Ledbetter, MSN APRN ACNS-BC
Aura Petcu, AG-ACNP CNS
ASMBS STAFF LIAISON
The primary mission of the APP committee is to explore, develop and maintain credentialing and educational offerings for nurse practitioners, physician assistants and clinical nurse specialists.
The ASMBS Advanced Practice Provider Committee represents nurse practitioners, physician assistants and clinical nurse specialists practicing in the specialty of metabolic and bariatric surgery with at least one member representing each category of provider. The Committee members are appointed by the IHEC President with input from the Committee Chair and Co-Chair.
- Identify credentialing/certification options for advanced practice providers, such as certification, portfolio, assessment-based certificate and other potential options.
- Assess feasibility of credentialing/certification/certificate options.
- Develop credential/certificate for advanced practice providers.
- Collaborate with professional organizations, i.e. AANP, AAPA, OMA and other, for educational opportunities.
- Invite additional APPs to assist with development of ABC
- Develop curriculum for webinars, symposiums and other educational opportunities offering CME and CEU for APPs
- Develop assessment-based certificate
- Develop curriculum for Annual Meeting
- Explore opportunities for accreditation
- Assess interest in certification for APPs
- Development, dissemination and evaluation of 2 surveys exploring interest and feasibility of credentialing options to advanced practice providers
- Publication of 2 articles in Bariatric Times
- Development of interest/feasibility survey for American Board of Medicine
- Change in status from task force to committee.