Adrian Dan, MD
Kunoor Jain-Spangler, MD
Colleen Kennedy, MD MBA
Executive Council Liaison
ASMBS Staff Liaison
Maher El Chaar, MD
Judy Chen, MD FACS ABOM
Vincent Cheng, MD
Shaina Eckhouse, MD
Laura E. Fischer, MD MS FACS FASMBS
Chandra Hassan, MD
Daniel Jones, MD MS
S. Julie-Ann Lloyd, MD PhD
Pearl Ma, MD FACS ABOM DABS-FPMS
Matthew Martin, MD FASMBS
Marc Neff, MD FACS
Amrita Pandit, MD
Sabrena Noria, MD PhD
Carl Pesta, DO FASMBS
Kamran Samakar, MD MA FASMB FACS
Scott Schimpke, MD
Niti Shahi, MD
Faiz Shariff, MD FACS FASMBS
Rickesha Wilson, MD
- To improve the care and treatment of people with obesity and related diseases
- To advance the science and understanding of metabolic and bariatric surgery
- To be the recognized authority and resource on metabolic and bariatric surgery
The Bariatric Surgery Training Committee is responsible for designing guidelines and resources for metabolic and bariatric surgery training and fellowship programs. It also certifies that trainees have received adequate training through validation of their experience and the development and updating study materials.
- Establish the standard for bariatric surgery training by trainees in general surgery and advanced fellowship training
- Collaborate with the Endoscopy Committee and the Integrated Health Committees with regards to training issues that cross into their domains.
- ASMBS Certificate of Satisfactory Training in Bariatric Surgery Fellowship (awarded annually)
- Development of digital application for 2023 cycle
- Updating technical experience requirements for 2023 cycle
- Fellowship Educational Lectures & Learning Objectives Webinars (FELLOWs) Project
- 1st 2-year cycle complete and archived on ASMBS website
- 2nd 2-year cycle now underway
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Credentialing Guidelines intended to update ASMBS guidelines for credentialing in MBS. A Delphi analysis is currently underway delineating a list of questions to be approved by the EC.
New Projects for 2023-24
- The Bariatric Happy Hour! monthly evening webinar to complement FELLOWs program, alternates between a video review and an article review.
- ASMBS Surgical Technique And Robotic Training (START) Program, a pilot program for FC bariatric surgery fellows supported by Industry grant. Web based lectures for didactics by ASMBS faculty and skills lab. Culminates with fellow graduation from program at annual meeting
- Funding for the 2023-2024 START program has been approved by Intuitive and will be expanded to accommodate a larger group of fellows.
- Dr. Martin & Dr. Dan served as Program Directors for Robotics sessions at the ASMBS 2023 Annual Meeting
- Behind the Knife Podcast: a total of six podcasts (3 per year) curated by 3 faculty members and 1 fellow.
2022-23 Completed or Nearly-Completed Projects
- Curriculum Redesign Task Force: Revision of Cognitive Curriculum; Updated list of objectives to be in line with other ongoing projects (FPD blueprint, FELLOWs project, FC curriculum redesign project, ASMBS textbook)
- Updating technical experience requirements for 2023 ASMBS Fellowship Certificate Cycle, (i.e. number of procedures required for the certificate: Anastomotic, Restrictive, Primary surgeon, Assistant surgeon, and added endoscopic experience)
- 2023 ASMBS Fellowship Certificate Digital application