Become an International Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
We are happy to announce that the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) will now be accepting new applications for the designation International Fellow of the ASMBS (IFASMBS).
All members who previously held these designations must re-apply, as all prior designations were valid for two years and have expired. This will also ensure the current requirements are met.
Designation of International Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery may be bestowed upon any International Member in good standing in the ASMBS for two years. The member must also currently practice in a facility currently participating as an International MBSAQIP Data Collection Center. Designation as a "International Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery" will be for a period of three years. The designation may be renewed for additional three year terms contingent on the Member’s continued participation in an approved outcomes data reporting program such as MBSAQIP. The designation may be withdrawn prior to the end of the three year term in the event the Member’s participation in an approved outcomes data reporting program terminates, or in the event the Member is found to have falsified data. The complete list of guidelines is below:
Guidelines for Application to IFASMBS
Requirements for initial acceptance of IFASMBS
- International ASMBS member in good standing for two years.
- Completion of a minimum of 25 ASMBS-approved bariatric surgeries/year as the primary surgeon
- Performs bariatric surgery at health care facility currently participating in an International MBSAQIP Data Collection Center
- A one time non-refundable fee of $100.00 to be submitted with application.
Maintenance of IFASMBS (3 year cycle)
- Maintain International ASMBS Member in Good Standing Status
- Attendance at the Annual (or Spring) ASMBS meeting at least once every three years
- Attendance/participation of 18 hrs or Category 1 CME credits in the field of Bariatric Surgery every 3 years
- Continued participation in MBSAQIP
- Perform a minimum of 25 ASMBS-approved bariatric procedures as primary surgeon annually
- Non-refundable fee of $100.00 to be submitted with renewal
- Membership committee will reserve the right to review any members IFASMBS status and request appropriate supporting documentation to verify members maintenance requirements.
Members requesting IFASMBS status must submit an application and a fee of $100.00
For further information, please contact ASMBS Membership Manager
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery prohibits discrimination against any member or any applicant for membership because of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.