Become a Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
We are happy to announce that the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) will now be accepting new applications for the designations of Fellow of the ASMBS (FASMBS). The designation descriptions and basic criteria are below.
ALL members who previously held these designations must re-apply, as all prior designations were valid for three years and have expired. This will also ensure the current requirements are met.
Designation of Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery may be bestowed upon any Regular Member (FASMBS) in good standing in the ASMBS for a minimum of two years. The member must also currently practice in an American Society for Metabolic Surgery (ASMBS) or American College of Surgeons (ACS) accredited center which submits data to Metabolic and Bariatric Srugery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). The Designation as a "Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery" will be for a period of three years. Designation may be renewed for additional three year terms contingent on the Member’s continued participation in an approved outcomes data reporting program such as MBSAQIP. The designation may be withdrawn prior to the end of the three year term in the event the Member’s participation in an approved outcomes data reporting program terminates, or in the event the Member is found to have falsified data.
Guidelines for Application to FASMBS
Requirements for initial acceptance of FASMBS:
- Applicant will be a Regular member in good standing in the ASMBS for at least two years
- Completion of a minimum of 25 ASMBS approved bariatric surgeries/year as the primary surgeon
- Surgery performed at facility currently participating in MBSAQIP or an approved program of periodic, verifiable reporting of bariatric surgery outcomes data
- A non-refundable fee of $100.00 to be submitted with application
- Senior ASMBS member who apply will receive exception to operative and MBSAQIP participation requirements and will have to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to document that: was a regular member in good standing for a significant time, was practicing bariatric surgery for several years and was participating in MBSAQIP if available while in active practice
- Members of active military will receive exception to MBSAQIP participation requirements and prorated operative experience if deployed during application period
Requirements for maintenance of FASMBS (3 year cycle)
- Maintain Regular Member in Good Standing Status
- Attendance at the Annual (or Spring) ASMBS meeting at least once every three years (Exception for military deployment)
- Achievement of 18 Category 1 CME credits in the field of Bariatric Surgery every 3 years (Exception for military deployment)
- Continued participation in MBSAQIP or an approved outcomes data reporting program. Military members to verify continued enlistment to maintain MBSAQIP exception
- Perform a minimum of 25 ASMBS-approved bariatric procedures as primary surgeon annually
- Membership committee will reserve the right to review any members FASMBS status and request appropriate supporting documentation to verify members’ maintenance requirements
- Non-refundable fee of $100.00 to be submitted with renewal
- Senior members exempt from renewal requirements.
Members requesting FASMBS status must submit an application and a fee of $100.00
For further information, please contact ASMBS Membership Manager
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery prohibits discrimination against any member or any applicant for membership because of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.