Kuldeep Singh, MD FACS MBA DABOM
About the Provider
Kuldeep Singh, M.D., F.A.C.S., M.B.A, FASMBS.
Program Director, Bariatric Fellowship at Mercy Hospital
250 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202.
General Surgery. Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Bariatric Surgery.
License: Maryland D0054815. (Expires: 9/30/2021)
American Board of Surgery
American College of Surgeons,
American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons
SAGES (Society of American Gastro Endoscopic Surgeons)
Member: American College of Healthcare Executives.
- Member of Bariatric task force to evaluate and recommend utilization review for Bariatric Surgery in Maryland, 2004-2005.
- Chief of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Director of Bariatric Surgery, St. Agnes Healthcare, Baltimore, MD 21229, 2000-2006.
- Member of Bariatric Liaison Committee, SAGES 2005-2009.
- Director and founder of Comprehensive Metabolic Center, St. Agnes Hospital, Baltimore 2008-2015
- Expert panel on Sleeve Gastrectomy (Ethicon) Oct. 2009.
- Expert advisor/ consultant to Covidien, Allergan, Ethicon and Optum health 2007-2010.
- Medical Director of Bariatric Center at Northwest Hospital, Baltimore, MD 2010- 2014
- President elect ASMBS (Maryland Chapter): 2012-2013.
- Program Director for Bariatric Fellowship at St Agnes: 2015-present
- Founding person for starting Bariatric fellowship at St. Agnes (2015), Bariatric Programs at Northwest Hospital (2010) and St. Agnes Hospital (2001) and State Chapter to ASMBS, Maryland Chapter 2012 and Starting Comprehensive Maryland Metabolic Institute at St Agnes in 2008.
- Director, Bariatric Center at Mercy Hospital, Baltimore. 2019-till date.
● Started Advanced MIS and Bariatric Program at St Agnes, Baltimore, MD in 2000.
● Started Laparoscopic Nephrectomy program at St Agnes in 2001
● Started Bariatric Program at Northwest Hospital, Baltimore 2010
● Started comprehensive Maryland Metabolic Institute at St Agnes for obesity and related disorders 2008
● Key person to establish Maryland Chapter of ASMBS 2012
● Started Bariatric fellowship at St Agnes 2015.
● Director, Bariatric Center at Mercy Hospital, Baltimore 2019.
● Since beginning involved in active teaching residents and over 30 residents have gone into Bariatric practices and fellowships.
“Top Doc” Baltimore magazine for 10 years, 2006, 2009-2017
“Health Care Heroes” 2011 The Daily Record, Baltimore
- MBA, Loyola College, Baltimore, MD. 2004-2006.
- Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, St. Joseph’s Medical Center, Towson, MD 21204. 1999-2000.
- Residency in General Surgery, St. Agnes Healthcare, Baltimore, MD 21229. (1994-1999)
- Senior Resident in Orthopedic Surgery. 1991-1994.
- Research Fellowship in Orthopedic Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. 1990-1991.
- Residency in Orthopedic Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi,
India. 1988-1990. Awarded Master of Surgery (MS) in Orthopedic Surgery.
- Undergraduate in Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
1982-1987. Awarded Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- An algorithm for the treatment of chronic groin pain after inguinal hernia repair. Nyhus and Condon’s Hernia- Fifth edition. W.P. Geis, Kuldeep Singh and G.K. Gillian.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG) – A staged Procedure for Super-Super Obese Patients: SAGES Bariatric Manual. Kuldeep Singh. Springer Verlag Pub. In print 2008.
A. Singh, K., Sardi, A., Conway, G. and Spiegler, E.: Use of Gamma detecting probe and Isosulphan blue to localize sentinel node in patients with malignant melanoma. Maryland Medical Journal. Vol. 45, No 6. 1996.
B. Malhotra, R., Singh, K., Bhan, S. and Dave, P.K.: Primary Pyogenic abscesses of psoas muscle. Correspondence. J Bone Joint Surg. 75(A) 1993.
C. Malhotra, R., Singh, K., Bhan, S. and Dave, P.K.: Primary Pyogenic abscesses of psoas muscle. Year Book of diagnostic radiology. 1993.
D. Malhotra, R., Singh, K., Bhan, S. and Dave, P.K.: Primary Pyogenic abscesses of psoas muscle. J Bone Joint Surg. 74(A) Feb. 1992.
E. Kotwal, P.P., Malhotra, R. and Singh, K.: Isolated Complex dorsal dislocation of third metacarpophalangeal joint. Indian Journal of Orthopedics. Vol. 27, 1993
F. Singh, K., Malhotra, R. and Dave, P.K.: Surgical treatment of Trochanteric Fractures: Internal vs. External Fixation. Journal of Orthopedic Surgery. 4(2), 1996.
G. Role of Intraoperative Esophagogastroenteroscopy in Minimizing Gastrojejunostomy-Related Morbidity: Experience with 2,311 Laparoscopic Gastric Bypasses with Linear Stapler Anastomosis. Ashraf Haddad, Nicholas Tapazoglou, Kuldeep Singh and Andrew Averbach. Obesity Surgery
Presentations at Scientific Meetings:
External fixation of Trochanteric Fractures. Annual Conference of Indian Orthopedic
Primary Tubercular Pericarditis in Immunecompetant patients. Annual Meeting of American College of Physicians. Maryland Chapter, 1998
Hemicorporectomy for patients with squamous cell carcinoma in chronic pressure ulcers. Poster Annual Meeting of American College of Surgeons, 1998.
The use of handoscopy to facilitate laparoscopic assisted splenectomy in patients with giant splenomegaly. Annual Meeting of Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, 1999.
Combined Laparoscopic and Thoracoesophago-gastric resection for carcinoma of gastro esophageal junction. Annual Meeting of Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, 1999.
Approach to patients with chronic groin pains after hernia repair. Annual meeting of Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, 2000.
Bariatric Surgery Update – Kuldeep Singh, M.D. Maryland Academy of Family Physicians. Annual Meeting, Scientific Assembly & Trade Show, 2006.
Results of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass in patients with BMI >60 – Kuldeep Singh, M.D., Andrew Averbach, M.D. R. Peterson, M.D. 22nd Annual Meeting American Society for Bariatric Surgery, 2005
10th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery - Kuldeep Singh, M.D., Andrew Averbach, M.D. and R. Peterson, M.D.
a) Retrocolic, Retrogastric Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass - Kuldeep Singh, M.D., Andrew Averbach, M.D. and R. Peterson, M.D., 2006.
b) The Safety of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass with Resident Participation- Kuldeep Singh, M.D., Andrew Averbach, M.D. and R. Peterson, M.D., 2006.
c) Results of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass in patients with BMI >60 - Kuldeep Singh, M.D., Andrew Averbach, M.D. and R. Peterson, M.D., 2006.
d) Routine use of intra operative Endoscopy decreases Gastro-jejunostomy related morbidity of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass - Kuldeep Singh, M.D., Andrew Averbach, M.D. and R. Peterson, M.D., 2006.
Laparoscopic Retrocolic Retrogastric Roux-en-Y gastric bypass does not increase incidence of internal hernias and obstruction. Dr. A. Bashir, Dr. Isam Hamdallah, Dr. Kuldeep Singh and Dr. A. Averbach. Poster Presentation at SAGES 2008.
Laparoscopic Retrocolic Retrogastric Roux-en-Y gastric bypass does not increase incidence of internal hernias and obstruction. Dr. A. Bashir, Dr. Isam Hamdallah, Dr. Kuldeep Singh and Dr. A. Averbach. (WCES) World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery, Yokohoma, Japan, 2008.
Endoscopic Management of small bowel obstruction after Laparoscopic gastric bypass: (ASMBS) American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. 2008. Dr. R. Karras, Dr. A. Bashir and Dr. Kuldeep Singh, MD.
Routine use of intraoperative endoscopy decreases gastro-jejunostomy related morbidity of laparoscopic gastric Bypass. Poster, American College of Surgeons Annual meeting 2009. Hamdallah, I, Averbach, A., and Singh, K.
Suture line leaks after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: difficulties in management might be underestimated. Poster SAGES Annual meeting 2010. Hamdallah, I., Averbach, A., and Singh, K.
Could early stricture after laparoscopic gastric bypass be result of surgical technique? A retrospective review of 1760 gastric bypass patients, looking at gastro-jejunostomy stricture rate following linear stapler/ hand sewn anastomosis. Poster, Annual Meeting SAGES, 2010.
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. An early assessment of safety and efficacy. Khan, J., Hamdallah, I., Singh, M., Singh, K., and Averbach, A.
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass (LGB) and Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric banding (LAGB) in patients with Body Mass Index (BMI) above 50 is not associated with increased morbidity and mortality. Khan, J., Singh, M., Bani, MGM., Averbach, A., Singh, K., and Vanrouden, D. Poster presentation ASMBS Annual meeting 2010.
Laparoscopic pyloroplasty- Live telecast at College of Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2001.
Laparoscopic repair of diaphragmatic hernia through foramen of Morgagni- Video presentation at American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2001.
Laparoscopic Median Arcuate Ligament release: Singh, K, Singh, M., Hamdallah, I., and Bashir, A. Tricks of trade in general surgery: Innovative solutions to common problems: Interactive international “Video” Symposium: June 2011.
Courses Co-organized and Proctored:
Over 24 courses at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Towson, MD 1999-2000 with Dr. W.P Geis and Dr. C. Kim. Subjects covered: Lap Nissen, Lap Solid Organ, Lap Inguinal and Incisional Hernia Repair, Lap Colon resection, Lap Cholecystectomy and Complex revision Surgery including Laparoscopic Surgery for Gastro-esophageal Junction Diseases.
Resident’s dry and animal labs for laparoscopic training for St. Agnes Healthcare, MD, 2001-2006.