Incorporated June 2007
The Pennsylvania Chapter of the ASMBS will foster awareness of the issues facing Bariatric Surgeons and Allied Health in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, while working to assure safe and ethical treatment options for our patients.
President: Ann Rogers, MD FASMBS
Past Presidents: James Ku, MD, Michael D. Bono, MD, Fernando Bonanni, MD FACS FASMBS
Vice President: Joseph McPhee, MD FASMBS
Secretary/Treasurer: Luciano Dimarco, DO
Integrated Health Chair: Cynthia Hipszer, RN MSN CNML CBN
STAR (State Access to Care Representative): Maria Altieri, MD MS
Integrated Health STAR (State Access to Care Representative): Cynthia Hipszer, RN MSN CNML CBN
Founding Members: Amjad Ali, MD, Fernando Bonanni, MD FACS FASMBS, Michael D. Bono, MD, Alan Brader, MD, Scot Currie, DO FACOS FASMBS, DO, Luciano DiMarco, DO
Executive Director: Allen J. Cwalina
Allen J. Cwalina
Central PA Surgical Associates
875 South Arlington Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17109
Current Care of the Bariatric Patient
September 9, 2022
Registration and More Information
Pennsylvania State Chapter Meeting at the ASMBS Annual Meeting 2022 in Dallas, TX
Tuesday, June 7th
Hyatt Regency Dallas/Baker Room
2nd Annual Virtual Robotic Bariatric Surgery Conference at Reading Hospital
Saturday, April 24, 2021
Topic: A Safer Duodenal Switch and SADI-S
Guest Speakers: Drs. Michele Gagner, Vivek Prachand, Daniel Cottam and Laurent Biertho
Laparoscoopic and Robotic Techniques for Single Anastomosis and Classic Duodenal Switch (Affiliated with the ASMBS Pennsylvania State Chapter) April 24-25, 2020, West Reading, PA – Cancelled due to COVID
Delaware and Pennsylvania State Chapters Meeting at ObesityWeek 2018
Tuesday, November 13
Omni Nashville Hotel, 250 5th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203, Music Row 2 Room
Pennsylvania State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2016 in New Orleans, LA
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Hilton New Orleans Riverside Camp Room
State Chapter Meeting: "Current Care of the Bariatric Patient," CME event
September 9, 2016
State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2015 in Los Angeles, CA:
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
6pm-7pm Pacific Time
L.A. Convention Center Room #406A
State Chapter Meeting: Friday, July 17th, 2015, Penn State Hershey College of Medicine – Current Care of the Bariatric Patient, CME event
State Chapter Meeting: Friday, September 5, 2014, Penn State Hershey College of Medicine – Current Care of the Bariatric Patient, CME event
- Discussing potential partnership with the ACS state chapter meeting.
- In the final stages of PA ASMBS Chapter website development – considering a website video library for common procedures, complications, and revisions as a learning tool for members.
- Email to all ASMBS members in PA to support local ACS and PAMED to increase voice – PAMED (as all state medical societies) has tools to improve access to care.
- Discussions with Terrance Clark, MD, President NY Chapter regarding Tri-state meeting.
- Discussion with PA Medical society and ACS PA – only boarded surgical subspecialties are recognized – for bariatric to be heard must go through local American College Surgeons Chapter.
- Letter to Insurance Commissioner regarding improving ACA coverage for obesity treatments – requested meeting – no response.
- Discussions with Rep. John Payne: PEBTF (Pennsylvania Employee Beneficiary Trust Fund) – some discussion, no action – state employee insurance not supporting bariatric surgery – over 80,000 employees and 200,000 extended insurance recipients – continued meetings with Secretary of Budget, Administration, and Health – pilot study concept declined by the state.
- Star Representative appointed to ACS Health Advisory Council.
- Website Development – final stages of interactive state site template for the other states; includes web blog, surveys, insurance information, and advice to members (on hold until further discussion re: mandatory state membership).