Incorporated May 2007
As a state chapter of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, our mission is to decrease the burden of obesity and its related diseases in New Jersry. We consider the care of obesity as an integral part of essential medical care and should be available to all New Jersey residents suffering from obesity. Our purpose is to:
- Increase the awareness of obesity, its complications and impact on society.
- Continually educate our peers and the public regarding treatment of obesity.
- Ensure that public policy, officials, and legislators appreciate and safeguard patients’ right to obesity care.
- Provide and ensure that there is access to care for obesity, and that patients’ rights to care are protected.
- Effectively and safely treat patients suffering from obesity, through best practices and standardization of care with the members of our State society.
President: Alexander Onopchenko, MD FACS
Vice President: Saniea Majid, MD FACS
Treasurer/Secretary: Joao Lopes, MD
Past Presidents: Naveen Ballem, MD FACS FASMBS; Michael Bilof, MD FACS FASMBS; Muhammad Feteiha, MD FACS
Executive Director: Andrea Donelan
Integrated Health Chair: Alexander Onopchenko, MD FACS
Integrated Health Co-Chair: TBA
STAR (State Access to Care Representative): Michael Bilof, MD FASMBS
Michael Bilof, MD FACS FASMBS
Muhammad Feteiha, MD FACS
Andrea Donelan, Executive Director
36 Elm Street, Suite 5
Morristown, NJ 07960
Phone: (973) 539‐4000 Fax: (973) 539-9493
New Jersey State Chapter Annual Meeting April 10, 2021
Educational meetings for state chapter members throughout 2020
New Jersey State Chapter Annual Meeting December 7, 2019
New Jersey State Chapter Annual Meeting December 1, 2018
New Jersey State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2018
Tuesday, November 13
Omni Nashville Hotel, 250 5th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203, Mockingbird 4 Room
New Jersey State Chapter General Membership Meeting with Speakers
Monday, June 19, 2017
The Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel & Conference Center, Iselin
New Jersey State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2016 in New Orleans, LA
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Hilton New Orleans Riverside Cambridge Room
New Jersey State Chapter Annual Meeting
December 5, 2015
The Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel & Conference Center
515 Route One South, Iselin, NJ
New Jersey State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2015 in Los Angeles, CA:
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
6pm-7pm Pacific Time
L.A. Convention Center Room #504
New Jersey State Chapter CME Dinner Meeting May 14, 2015
New Jersey State Chapter Educational Dinner Meeting May 14, 2015
New Jersey State Chapter Annual Meeting December 14, 2014
New Jersey State Chapter Annual Meeting December 14, 2013
New Jersey State Chapter Educational CME Dinner meeting May 9, 2013
- Publicized the ASMBS Foundation Virtual Obesity Walk 2020.
- Notified members of COVID19 updates.
- The membership is kept abreast of important state and national legislative matters via blast e-mail and fax.
- Each hospital hosts support groups. Individual practices also host support groups.