Incorporated June 2008
The Michigan Bariatric Society vision is to improve health and well-being by decreasing the hardship of the disease of obesity and related diseases throughout the state of Michigan. The Michigan Bariatric Society is a State Chapter of the ASMBS and will represent the state of Michigan advocating the same principles and merits of the ASMBS.
What We do:
- Provide a forum to foster and support Michigan physicians and integrated health personnel who care for metabolic and bariatric surgery patients.
- Aim to enroll all practicing bariatric surgeons and integrated health personnel in the state of Michigan.
- Provide a voice to help with issues affecting bariatric surgery practices and their patients.
- Study morbid obesity and advance the art and science of metabolic and bariatric surgery by:
- Encouraging its members to pursue investigations both in the clinic and laboratory setting.
- Interchanging ideas, information and experience pertaining to metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Establishing and promoting guidelines for patient selection and care.
- Promoting improved perioperative and long-term care of patients and the reduction of patient risk.
- Fostering educational programs for physicians, integrated health personnel and laypeople.
- Promoting outcome studies and quality assurance.
- Representing the ASMBS, being the recognized authority and resource on metabolic and bariatric surgery in the State of Michigan.
Join the Michigan Bariatric Society and make a strong statement for leadership and patient advocacy.
President: David Chengelis, MD
Vice President: Oliver Varban, MD
Treasurer: Mindy K. Lane, DO
Secretary: Jon Schram, MD
Vicar Nabeel Obeid, MD
Integrated Health Chair: Rachel Blind, NP-BC CBN
Immediate Past President: Jeffrey Genaw, MD FACS FASMBS
Past President: Carl Pesta, DO FASMBS
STAR (State Access to Care Representative): Kathryn Ziegler, MD
Board of Directors
Carl Pesta, DO FASMBS
Arthur Carlin, MD FASMBS
Matthew Weiner, MD
Rachel Blind, NP-BC
James A. Foote, MD
Oliver Varban, MD
Kevin Krause, MD FASMBS
Stuart Verseman, MD FASMBS
Tracy Hannan, RNFA CNOR
Amanda Stricklen, RN
Rachel Ross, RN
Michigan State Chapter of the ASMBS
200 Ottawa Ave. N.W. Suite 1000
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Michigan State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2019 Tuesday, November 5 5:15-6:15pm Pacific Delano, 3940 S Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89119 (adjacent to Mandalay Bay), Sienna G Room – 3rd Floor
11th Annual MBS Meeting
Thursday, October 4, 2018
Frederick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park
1000 E Beltline Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Click here to more information
President Dr. Chengelis’ Update from the Meeting
10th Annual MBS Meeting
Thursday, October 5, 2017
Baronette Renaissance Hotel Detroit – Novi
27790 Novi Rd, Novi, MI 48377
Click here to more information
November 2, 2016 State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek
October 6, 2016, Michigan State Chapter Annual Meeting
Baronette Renaissance Detroit-Novi Hotel (Marriott)
27790 Novi Road
Novi, MI 48377 248-349-7800
This will be our 9th Annual meeting and will be combined with 10th Anniversary MBSC meeting the following day
Had a Past President’s meeting to get ideas for work efforts
State Chapter Meeting at ObesityWeek 2015 in Los Angeles, CA:
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
6pm-7pm Pacific Time
L.A. Convention Center Room #505
August 21, 2015, Traverse City, Michigan- 8th Annual Michigan Bariatric Society Meeting
September 12, 2014 – Annual Meeting
Quarterly Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative (MBSC) meetings sharing best practices, discussing challenging cases, building collegiality among clinicians and surgeons; beginning video coaching study
Periodic phone conferences
- State Chapter President, Dr. Jeffrey Genaw, gave presentation at Obesity Week-End 2016
- Prior State Chapter President, Dr. Carl pesta, did live video surgery for Obesity Week-End 2016
- Continued efforts at Reducing Sugar Drinks in Hospitals
- Membership continues to participate actively in the MBSC meetings to help with best practices and Quality Initiatives; most Chapter Board members participate in the Coaching and Mentoring Project
- Beginning work on addressing denials from insurance companies with 6-12 month preoperative weight loss requirements; this will be done in conjunction with National Office
- We are planning on hosting Obesity/Metabolic Surgery Awareness Event (Walks or other) next year
- Access to Care discussions – ACA and bariatric coverage for Michigan
- In collaboration with MBSC, lobbied BCBS of Michigan to unbundle lap band removal with revision procedures (BCBS, previously not paying for removal of band and port if converting to another procedure; now will pay separate)
- Hospital Sugar drink reduction project – Lead surgeon Matt Weiner, MD
Most if not all MBS programs have support groups; some are closed to site patients only, but others are open