August 2021 Edition
1. Presidential Messages
Shanu Kothari, MD FASMBS and Nate Sann, MSN FNP-BC deliver their monthly Presidential Video Message. Hear about the current state of the Society and upcoming events.
ASMBS Presidential Message
This video has been archived.
ASMBS Integrated Health Presidential Message
This video has been archived.
2. NIH Funding for Bariatric Surgery
The National Cancer Institute has provided notices (NOT-CA-21-090, NOT-CA-21-091) of its intent to publish two Funding Opportunity Announcements to support investigator initiated studies addressing mechanisms by which bariatric surgery impacts cancer risk, and seeks to draw in talented scientists who study bariatric surgery, including bariatric surgeons, to investigate its effects on cancer. A multidisciplinary team of basic and clinical scientists to address the topic is highly encouraged. Keep any eye out for additional information as it becomes available.
3. Committee & Member News
Featured Videos: Managing Complications
The ASMBS Video Committee has hand-picked a selection of new and notable videos from the ASMBS Video Library. This month’s theme is Managing Complications:
- Management of Complex Situations in Metabolic Surgery The FELLOW Project
- Laparoscopic Conversion to Roux En Y Gastric Bypass and Ligamentum Teres Cardiopexy for Gastroesophageal and Bile Reflux After Sleeve Gastrectomy Main Presenter – Aaron Sabbota, MD PhD; Co-Author – Amy K. Yetasook, MD; Co-Author – Pearl K. Ma, MD FACS FASMBS; Co-Author – Keith B. Boone, MD FASMBS FACS; Co-Author – Kelvin Higa, MD FASMBS; Co-Author – Amarita S. Klar, MD
- Laparoscopic Management of Small Bowel Obstruction Secondary to Intra-Gastric Balloon Migration Main Presenter – Ravi Aggarwal, MBBS MRCS; Co-Author – Kai Tai Derek Yeung, MBBS MRCS; Co-Author – Charalampos Haris Markakis 868525, MBBS MSc FRCS; Co-Author – Ahmed R. Ahmed, PhD FRCS
- Duodenal Switch – Small Bowel Obstruction and Internal Hernias Main Presenter – Peter C. NG, MD; Co-Author – Lindsey S. Sharp, MD; Co-Author – Dustin M. Bermudez, MD FASMBS
- A Video of an Iatrogenic Portal Vein Injury During Duodenal Dissection for Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileal Bypass Main Presenter – Scott D. Steinberg, MD FACS; Co-Author – Amit K. Surve, MD; Co-Author – Daniel R. Cottam, MD; Co-Author – Benjamin H. Horsley, EMT; Co-Author – Samuel Cottam, CNA
The ASMBS Video Library has over 200 educational videos from past meetings, webinars, and recent presentations from esteemed colleagues.
IH Patient Education Survey
All Integrated Health Professionals!!!
You have received an invitation to participate in the Bariatric Surgery Patient Education Providers Survey – Preoperative Phase.
There has been very little research regarding the critical aspects of Bariatric Surgery Patient Education (the content, the delivery and dose, and patient knowledge measurement, …). All Integrated Health disciplines participate in Bariatric Surgical Patient Education.
This is your chance to weight in and we encourage your participation in this research study. Our plan is to submit the results to SOARD in a publication.
IF you miss placed your email or was gobbled up by a fire wall, you can follow this link: https://moravian.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6zk2Nzd9B4NFF1s
4. ASMBS Foundation Updates
LEAD Awards Nominations
The ASMBS Foundation 2021 Virtual LEAD Awards is now accepting nominations through August 6th. Do you know an ASMBS member who has shown outstanding leadership and dedication to the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery? Nomination them for the Foundation’s Annual LEAD Awards.
New Board Members
Dr. Paul Enochs, ASMBS Foundation President, recently welcomed newly elected Foundation Board Members, January Hill, MD, Charles Thompson, MD, and Omar Ghanem, MD. Dr. Enochs stated, "We are all honored and excited to have you a part of our organization and look forward to working with you."
5. Advocacy & Access to Care Updates
OCC August 2021 Advocacy Report
In this report, prepared by Chris Gallagher, OCC Washington Representative: Obesity Advocates Target West Virginia & Virginia for TROA Support, OCAN Leaders Meet with CMS Coverage Group, and State Obesity Coverage Bills Update.
See the latest OCC Advocacy Report for more information regarding other national advocacy efforts that ASMBS is pursuing.
- Centene: BMI criteria lowered by 5 points for Asian ethnicities. Centene is a major Medicaid managed care and Exchange provider. The policy is still impacted by state specific plans.
- Medical Mutual of Ohio (1.3 million covered lives): 3 month medically supervised weight loss criteria dropped.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Tennessee: requirement for psych consultation is removed.