July 2021 Edition
1. Presidential Messages
Shanu Kothari, MD FASMBS and Nate Sann, MSN FNP-BC deliver their first monthly Presidential Video Message. Hear about the current state of the Society and upcoming events.
ASMBS Presidential Message
ASMBS Integrated Health Presidential Message
2. Thank You for Attending and Supporting the ASMBS 2021 Annual Meeting
Thank you for attending and supporting The ASMBS 2021 Annual Meeting! We are extremely grateful for our over 1,700 attendees, speakers, and sponsors who helped contribute to making this event a success. Access to recorded OnDemand sessions is now available.
And don’t forget to mark your calendars for The ASMBS 2022 Annual Meeting – June 5th-9th in Dallas, Texas.
3. Your Weight Matters Convention
The Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) is excited to invite you to YWM2021 – VIRTUAL, taking place this July 17th – 25th, a FREE dynamic and educational virtual event series designed to help you embrace change, recharge your health and move forward with your health goals!
YWM2021 – VIRTUAL offers the best weight and health education through interactive virtual sessions with leading industry experts presenting on the latest science-based information to help you manage your health journey.
This FREE educational series is for anyone interested in learning about weight and health, YWM2021 – VIRTUAL is for you if:
- You are interested in learning more about weight management and have access to world-renowned experts
- You are looking for reliable weight and health information, practical tools and strategies to help you manage your journey with weight and health
- You want to recharge your health, learn about nutrition, exercise and get mental health tips to move forward with your health goals
- You are a nurse or healthcare professional and want to earn up to 16 CE Credits for just $90!
- You are a health professional who wants to learn more about patients and the latest science-based weight and health education
Our virtual schedule offers a wide range of topics on weight, health, mental health, nutrition, obesity treatments and much more! Additionally, we are offering different registration options to meet your needs and offer the best education at the best price, including our FREE registration option!
YWM2021 – VIRTUAL has something for everyone – all in a user-friendly virtual platform! Some bonus features include:
- Live Q & A
- Breakout Sessions
- Special Events
- Bonus Sessions
- Connect with the Experts Ticketed Event
- Much More!
4. BCBS Michigan Removes Six-Month Pre-Op Diet Requirement
Effective 7/1/2021, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan will no longer require a six-month pre-operative diet. Over 4 million lives are impacted by this new policy change. The ASMBS Access to Care Committee helped push the national coverage decision for BCBS, though many regional BCBS plans still maintained the six month requirement. Immediate Past Committee Chair, Dr. Joe Northup, spearheaded efforts to effect policy change in these remaining regions, with Michigan being the largest by population.
Please join us in congratulating the Committee for this victory and thanking them for their dedication to removing barriers to care for our patients!
5. OCC July 2021 Advocacy Report
In this report, prepared by Chris Gallagher, OCC Washington Representative: Obesity Advocates Target West Virginia & Virginia for TROA Support, OCAN Leaders Meet with CMS Coverage Group, and State Obesity Coverage Bills Update.
See the latest OCC Advocacy Report for more information regarding other national advocacy efforts that ASMBS is pursuing.