Marina Kurian, MD FASMBS
Chair & Executive Council Liaison
Paul Kemmeter, MD
ASMBS Staff Liaison
Folahan Ayoola, MD FASMBS
Helmuth Billy, MD
Matthew Brengman, MD FASMBS
Paul Cirangle, MD
Daniel Cottam, MD
Paul Enochs, MD FASMBS
Karen Flanders, MSN ARNP CBN
Shawn Garber, MD
Makram Gedeon, MD FASMBS
Charlotte Hodges, MD MBA
Theadore Hufford, MD
Margaret Inman, MD FASMBS
Robert Kenney, DO
Shanu Kothari, MD FASMBS
James Leithead III, MD
Rami Lutfi, MD FASMBS, Immediate Past Chair
Blake Movitz, MD
Joshua Pfeiffer, MD
Jaime Ponce, MD FASMBS
Paige Quintero, MD FASMBS
Shiva Seetahal, MBBS
Virginia Weaver, MD
Matthew Weiner, MD
Tom White, MD FASMBS
The committee will identify different practice models in the United States. They will focus on setting best standards in these different models and hospital environments. The committee will address financial, business and other issues facing these practitioners.
Members of the committee will advise the Executive Council on trends of practice, relevant issues to the community surgeons. We will address and discuss challenges facing community practice to deliver high quality care. This work will allow this group to be privy to potential challenges and adverse changes and thus, enable ASMBS to be proactive dealing with these issues.
The committee will also work to create pathways and tips for community surgeons to help them build high quality comprehensive programs to improve outcomes across the board.
This committee is composed of surgeons who work to serve their community, focusing mostly on the clinical aspects of bariatric surgery. They are in private practice or are employed by community hospitals or nonacademic health care systems.
- To represent the interests of the independent practitioners in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- To identify the challenges unique to independent practitioners in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery and provide practice based solutions to these challenges.
- To address best practice guidelines in the context of unique practice models.
- To screen for different trends in the practice of bariatric surgery or endoscopy and communicate as needed with the Executive Board about patterns that may lead to major changes that need to be addressed in a timely manner.
- To offer a course outlining best practices and utilization of resources to maximize success of the practitioner.
- Publish one educational Private Practice Solutions Video per month
- Practice Building Webinars
- Insurance Denials, Letters of Necessity, Tips & Tricks on ASMBS Website as part of Private Practice Tool Kit
- ASMBS Weekend and The ASMBS Annual Meeting 2019 and 2020 Practice Building Courses
- Sponsored Cocktail Reception at The ASMBS Annual Meeting 2019 and 2020
- Increase engagement of large groups
- Increase private practice membership at national and State Chapter level
- Increase private practice attendance at ASMBS Weekend and The ASMBS Annual Meeting
- Continue Educational videos by experts in field of business for all members, academic, private and community for practice building/optimization
- Private Practice Tool Kit
- Preceptorships through ASMBS
Specific Projects that Achieve Goals and Objectives:
- Private Practice Solutions “Tips & Tricks” Video Series completed:
a. Adding Medical Weight Management to Your Practice; Ways to Optimize, Outcome, Volume and Revenue – published April 2019
b. Ancillary Revenue Streams for Your Bariatric Practice – published May 2019
c. Cosmetic Surgery – published June 2019
d. Coding Rules for Bariatric Surgery – published August 2019
e. Adding new topics
- “Building and Maintaining a Practice Despite Today’s Market Share Forces” Webinar on October 2, 2019
- Collecting denial and letter examples from committee members
- ASMBS Weekend and The ASMBS Annual Meeting 2019 Practice Building Courses; planning 2020 with the opportunity for all committee members to speak at the courses
- The ASMBS Annual Meeting 2019 Cocktail Reception on November 6, 2019; planning 2020
- Private Practice courses and cocktail receptions at ASMBS Weekend and The ASMBS Annual Meeting
- New members added to the committee
- Private Practice Tool Kit in progress
2019 Completed Projects
- Four Private Practice Solutions Videos published: https://asmbs.org/resource-categories/practice-tips-and-tricks
- Hosted “Building and Maintaining a Practice Despite Today’s Market Share Forces” Webinar on October 2nd
- Directed ASMBS Weekend 2019 Practice Management Course, June 2019
- Directed ObesityWeek 2019 Practice Building Course, November 2019
- Hosted ObesityWeek 2019 Practice Building Reception, November 2019