The Certified Bariatric Nurse (CBN) Program is designed to assess the professional competence of practitioners of Bariatric Nursing.
Our vision is to provide the premier credential to professional nurses caring for the the morbidly obese and bariatric surgical patient.
The RN Certification Committee and the Certification Advisory Committee of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery are dedicated to enhancing and promoting the specialty of bariatric nursing care.
Eligibility Requirements for Certification
In order for candidates to sit for the CBN examination they must satisfy the following eligibility criteria, including compliance with the ASMBS standards of conduct:
1. Be currently licensed as a professional nurse (RN) in one of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico. A valid license number MUST be entered when applying online.
- International nurses are eligible to sit for the CBN examination. Acceptable international nurse licensure will be determined on an individual basis by the ASMBS. It is important for international nurses to understand that the examination is based on a practice analysis of nursing care of morbidly obese and bariatric surgical patients in the United States of America. In addition, the examination will only be offered in the English language.
2. Complete a minimum of 24 months (within the preceding four years) of nursing care of morbidly obese and bariatric surgery patients, predominately in the bariatric surgery process (i.e., pre-operative, peri-operative or post operative/follow up care).
EXAM REGISTRATION IMPORTANT DATES
Are you ready to register for the CBN Exam?
Click here to register for the July 2013 Window – Opens April 2, 2013
2013 CBN Exam Registration Important Dates
2013 Test Window 2
Exam Administration Saturday, July 13, 2013 – Sunday, July 28, 2013
May 17, 2013 Early Registration Deadline
June 28, 2013 Final Registration Deadline
Exam Administration Saturday, February 1, 2014 - Sunday, February 16, 2014
November 1, 2013 Online Application Opens
December 16, 2013 Early Registration Deadline
January 10, 2014 Final Registration Deadline
2014 Test Window 2 – Dates TBD
View the CBN Certification FAQs.
CBN Examination Administration
The ASMBS has selected a national testing agency, Professional Examination Service (ProExam), to assist with examination preparation and administration. Questions about the application process and administration of the CBN examination should be directed to:
Professional Examination Service
ASMBS Management Office
475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115
toll-free (800) 449-0633
phone (212) 367-4343
Eligibility Requirements for Re-Certification
CBNs interested in re-certifying must continue to meet the following criteria:
1. Be currently licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in one of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico. A valid license number must be included with your re-certification application. Acceptable international nurses’ licensure will be determined on an individual basis by the ASMBS.
2. Must also have a minimum of 1000 hours of professional practice (within the preceding 48 months) of nursing care of morbidly obese and bariatric surgery patients, predominately in the bariatric surgery process (i.e., pre-operative, peri-operative or post-operative/follow-up care).
3. Must hold a current certificate from ASMBS as a Certified Bariatric Nurse (CBN).
Additionally, candidates must submit information showing achievement of a CBN Re-Certification method. There are currently two re-certification methods available: Re-testing (re-take and pass the CBN exam) or Professional Development. Professional development options are outlined below:
1. 80 Contact Hours of Continuing Education
2. 40 Hours of Continuing Education and 2 Presentations
3. 40 Hours of Continuing Education and 1 Published Article
4. 40 Hours of Continuing Education and 4 Academic Credits
Regardless of the chosen re-certification method, all re-certification activities must take place within the 48 months preceding the expiration of certification.
Eligibility for CBN Re-Certification requires adherence to the ASMBS Standards of Conduct. Candidates are required to confirm acceptance of a statement on the application form that they understand violations of the ASMBS Standards of Conduct may result in loss of eligibility for CBN certification. Verification of all above requirements must be provided upon request.
CBN Certification and Re-Certification Resources
New ASMBS CBN® Online Review Course
For more information, click here.
Answers to most inquiries regarding CBN Certification and Re-Certification can be found in the CBN Certification Handbook.
Frequently Asked Questions for certification and re-certification are also available:
CBN Certification FAQs
CBN Re-Certification FAQs
CBN Recertification Demographic Information Sample
CBN Recertification Worksheet Sample
Why is Certification of a Bariatric Nurse Important?
Download this PDF to share with hospital administrators and employers the importance of CBN!
If you have additional questions not addressed in the FAQs or CBN Candidate Handbook please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.