During the Executive Committee’s August 2012 meeting the suggested updated Core Curriculum for ASMBS Fellowship Training as formulated by the Bariatric Surgery Training Committee was approved.
Important changes are highlighted below (the Core Curriculum is available on the ASMBS website)
- Cognitive and didactic area requires more validation from the Program Director (PD) including a Fellowship Sign Off Sheet that can be used for this required documentation.
- Added a #18 to the didactic area; Role of Endoscopy in Bariatric Surgery and noted that “Fellows should also have an exposure to endoscopy (as attested by the Program Director eventually to be evaluated by a competency tool effective 2014.)”
- Clarified the Research project area: Fellows are expected to conduct research and are expected to complete at least one clinical and/or research project during the fellowship and submitted to a National or Regional Society. The research project need not be accepted for presentation by the conference or for publication in the journal to which it was submitted.
- Added one patient educational seminar to multi-disciplinary training in addition to attending one support group meeting and participating in regular multidisciplinary conferences.
- IMPORTANTLY the Surgical Operation Requirements have changed to:
- 50 stapling/anastomotic operations clarified to “50 intestinal bypass operations (Roux en Y Gastric bypass or Biliopancreatic Diversion +/- Duodenal Switch)”
- At least 10 purely restrictive operations changed to “a combined total of 10 Restrictive operations (Sleeve Gastrectomy operations and/or Adjustable Gastric Banding procedures”
- 5 open procedures changed to “5 Revisional procedures; and exposure to and/or extensive teaching of bariatric-specific emergency procedures (leaks, bowel obstructions, internal hernias, intussusceptions, gastrointestinal hemorrhage and ulcers), as deemed adequate by the program director to establish competence in managing these complications.”
- Documentation is now required for “Evaluation Requirements”. (Non-operative patient encounters; ie. Pre-op evaluations, in-patient encounters, out-patient evaluations)
- Documentation required for “Performance Assessment Synopsis: The Program Director will be responsible for conducting at least 2 fellow performance assessment interviews and providing the ASMBS with a brief synopsis of the meeting.
Click here for current application.
Bariatric Surgery Training Committee